Homemade Dog Bones for your 4 legged family members!

A little free time always benefits my dogs, Owen and Tanner ( Big O and Little T).  Usually, the free time is in the form of an extra walk, but this week with cold temps I decided to make them some early Valentine Treats.

dog bones 1

Owen:
IMG_0440-001

Tanner:

IMG_0443

I did a quick Google search, but some of the ingredients required an extra trip to the grocery store. So when I found a 3 ingredient recipe (milk, wheat flour and peanut butter) I was set.  Technically it’s 4 if you count the baking powder.

01-DSC_0535

It was easy to mix, roll out and cut. Just like a thick sugar cookie dough.

03-DSC_0537

The only trouble I had was with the recipe.  It had several typos and I suspect the oven temperature was one of the the typos.  The original recipe said 200 degrees, but after 40 minutes the dog bones were super smooshy.  So with some random temperature changes I settled on a cookie temperature of 350. I would start at 350 and bake for 20 minutes to get a baseline on a correct temperature. (That last sentence sounded so technical)!

09-DSC_0547
Recipe:
2 cups whole wheat flour, 2 TBSP baking powder, 2 cups chunky peanut butter,2 cups nonfat milk.

10-DSC_0551

I sorted and wrapped these treats up with twine on sale from Crate & Barrel.

14-DSC_0559

Let’s not forget our pets for Valentines Day!  These make great gifts for neighbors or teachers’ pets (get it)?

dog bones 1

LINKING UP TO:

ELIZABETH & CO  THREE LITTLE GREENWOODS  KITCHEN FUN WITH MY 3 SONS  INSIDE BRU CREW

SIMPLY SWEET HOME SIMPLY DESIGNING THE THIRTYSIX AVENUE

A LITTLE KNICK KNACK LADYBIRD LANE KITCHEN FUN WITH MY 3 SONS

CONFESSIONS OF AN OVERWORKED MOM KEEPING IT SIMPLE

MEASURING FLOWER MOM ON A TIMEOUT JENNIFER RIZZO

MIZ HELEN’S COUNTRY COTTAGE FRENCH COUNTRY COTTAGE

EMBRACING CHANGE SIX SISTERS STUFF SIMPLY DESIGNING IVY AND ELEPHANTS

THE CHARM OF HOME

SAVVY SOUTHERN STYLE

THE STYLE SISTERS

KATHERINE’S CORNER

THE DIY DREAMER

Comments

1. 36

says

Girl!! Not only word my Sweet Yellow Dog love these treats, may little people would love making them for her! I’m adding this to our Summer Fun Pinterest Board and making next week. ;)

Thanks so much for sharing on Show-Licious!
    ~ Ashley

2. 47

Melissa Baldwin says

Just made these and used 1 cup of milk and i cup of applesauce. My dog loved them and I got to thinking that you could add almond milk instead of regular milk for the lactose intolerant dogs. My cat also liked them since he likes peanut butter.

3. 53

says

I found your link on Simply Designing and I had to take a look! These are a really cute idea and they look so easy to make! Thanks for posting and have a great weekend!

4. 54

says

Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you have a great weekend and enjoy your new Red Plate.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

5. 58

Brenda H. says

Is it baking soda or baking powder? You say that it is 4 ingredients if you count the baking soda, but when you list the recipe, it calls for baking powder. I want to get this right. These are cute.

6. 60

says

This looks amazing, Laura! So easy, too. :-) I know our dog would LOVE these. Thank you SO MUCH for sharing and for linking up with Nomday Monday. I’ll head on over to like your Facebook page and follow you on Twitter. Have a great day!

7. 61

says

Hi Laura,
    Our Max is going to just love these awesome Homemade Dog Bones! Hope you are having a great Valentine weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!