The best part of summer it is packed with three holidays. And, nothing says summer more than a chilled dessert. With Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day this cherry crumble is the perfect red, white and blue (substitute to blueberries) dessert.
I start to crave this cherry dessert around mid-May. This dessert is a favorite around our house. It’s easy to prepare, has less than ten ingredients and travels well to bbqs. It’s a family recipe from one of my close friend’s mother.
It’s served chilled for those warm summer nights. The cherry filling adds the perfect taste of tart with the chilled goodness of whipped topping and cream cheese. This recipe used cherry filling but I usually add blueberries to 1/2 of it. It makes a pretty red, white and blue dessert.
cherry crumble recipe |
The best part of this recipe is it only has eight ingredients. And, I have most of the ingredients on hand. I keep a tub of Cool Whip in my freezer most months of the year! With the topping, cream cheese, cherries and sugars I reduce the white sugar by a 1/4 of a cup. I could probably reduce it by 1/2 and not miss out on any of the taste.
Sharing to: Delightsome Life
- 2 CUPS FLOUR
- 1 CUP BUTTER, SOFTENED
- 1/2 CUP BROWN SUGAR
- 1 CUP CHOPPED PECANS
- 16 OZ CREAM CHEESE
- 1 1/2 CUPS SUGAR (I REDUCED BY 1/4 CUP)
- 1/2 TEASPOON VANILLA
- 8-9 OUNCE COOL WHIP
- MIX CRUST INGREDIENTS AND SPREAD 2/3 INTO 9X13 BAKING PAN.
- SPREAD REMAINING CRUST INGREDIENTS INTO SMALLER PAN
- BAKE CRUST AT 350 FOR 20-25 MINUTES. LET COOL
- WHILE BAKING BLEND FILLING INGREDIENTS.
- SPREAD 1/2 OF FILLING ONTO 9X13 PAN
- ADD CHERRY FILLING
- ADD FINAL LAYER OF FILLING OVER THE CHERRY FILLING
- CRUMBLE SMALL PAN OF CRUST AND SPRINKLE OVER TOP OF FILLING
- REFRIGERATE TO LET IT SETTLE