There is a new man in my life. I stalk him weekly and let him know I am following him. His name is Michael and he is a lifestyle blogger and I am in love with his frosted sugar cookie bars.
Trying a new sugar cookie recipe was a big deal because I have been married to this one for close to a decade.
But, my family inhaled these and sugar cookies and complimented me on their taste.
The ingredient list is brief and the bake time is under 20 minutes. And, there are no cookie cutters needed. It never occurred to me that I could roll out sugar dough and not cut them into Christmas trees and hearts.
Yep, the only thing you need for these sugar cookie bars is a sheet pan. I used these because they were made in the USA.
I decided to use two smaller baking sheets so I could adjust the thickness of the cookie dough on the second pan. The second baking sheet was covered with about 1/2 of the cookie dough.
I like my sugar cookies (and bars) thick.
Michael’s frosted sugar cookie bars were beautiful.
He did an ombre frosting technique which was an epic fail on my end of the country. When my ombre tints started with a Pepto Bismol shade of pink it’s almost impossible to take it down to a blush.
So I put the Pepto Bismol tinted frosting the two shades of pink that followed aside and used a smidge of pink tint to create a shade of blush for my frosted sugar cookie bars.
I found my new favorite frosted sugar cookie bars recipe from Michael over at Inspired by Charm. In full disclosure, I saved the link to his Inspired by Charm blog for the end of my post because once you click his you will be stalking his blog just like me. Make sure you tell him his Colorado stalker sent you!
Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars Recipe
- Cookie Dough Ingredients
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- one stick butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 TBSP. sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Frosting Ingredients
- One stick butter softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- pinch of salt
- icing tints and sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Line baking sheet with foil (for thicker bar use a smaller baking sheet)
- In a large bowl: sift flour, baking powder & salt.
- In separate bowl cream butter, sugar for about 3 minutes. Add egg, sour cream and vanilla.
- Slowly add the flour mixture.
- Press the dough onto the baking sheet, bake for 14-17 minutes until edges are lightly golden.
- Once cookie bars are cool spread the frosting on the cookie bar.
- Frost as desired