Every time I make an apple crumble I think of Little House on the Prairie.
There must have been an episode where Ma Ingalls and Mary, Laura, Carrie and baby Grace went apple picking.
And, my version of this episode ends with Ma Ingalls making a homemade apple crumble. Here’s my reality: after cleaning out the fridge (modern-day cellar) I celebrated with a homemade apple crumble.
And, I don’t know if Ma Ingalls ate it for breakfast, but I think the oats and apples make it a breakfast option or an after dinner dessert.
Crumbles are non-fussy and flexible.
We are a family of apple lovers so they are always in the fridge or on the counter. Apples have a longer (refrigerator) shelf life than say raspberries. Apples are a hearty fruit and are perfect for an apple crumble. The best part of an apple crumble is they are so forgiving.
And, with a short ingredient list that includes oats and brown sugar and flour, this recipe may not need a trip to the grocery store.
For this recipe, I used the SweeTango apples I used when apples made a play for fall tablescapes.
But, you can add any type of apples and if you want to go rogue on this recipe toss in peeled peaches or pears.
It’s all good.
Apple Crumble Recipe
- 6-8 large apples
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- One cup quick oats oatmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 350. SPRAY PAN WITH COOKING SPRAY.
- PEEL, CORE, AND SLICE APPLES. PLACE APPLES IN BAKING DISH
- MIX 1/2 CUP SUGAR, 1 TABLESPOON FLOUR & CINNAMON IN SMALL BOWL
- COMBINE THE REMAINING INGREDIENTS IN A BOWL & MIX UNTIL CRUMBLY
- TOP THE SLICED APPLES EVENING WITH THE CRUMBLY OATMEAL MIXTURE
- BAKE FOR 45 MINUTES. SERVE WARM OR ROOM TEMP.