Interior Front Door: From Stain to White Paint!

I did it!  A few months  Six months ago I posted my entry way dilemma. That post with pictures is HERE. But here is the abbreviated version and the before photos if you don’t want to get side tracked!  Stained door adjacent to white interior door.  All of our interior doors are painted white. My son would call this “hashtag suburban mom probs.”  I call it maddening!

front door 2

I sat on this until this summer.  Because once you go paint, it’s a P.I.T.A. to go back to stain.  Message me if you need the acronym explained.   So the weekend my {first} husband drove our daughter back to college for a summer internship,  I decided to start with the side windows. I started to freak out after I finished 1/2 of one side.  But, I kept going until I got to this stage. The hyperventilating and the swear words continued until I finished both  side panes.   And, then I decided to wait for the boys’ reactions. I got 4 thumbs up and a fist bump by the end of the weekend!  I will caution you that it took me at least a day for me to love it (the stain door in the middle  was a distraction).

frontdoorduring

And here is the finished all white interior side of the front door!  I used Behr Pure-White high gloss (between paws,  hand prints, backpacks,  lax gear and tennis bags I know it will take a beating).

frontdoorafter1.2

BEFORE & AFTER SHOT:

frontdoorcollage1

frontdoorafter1.1

DONE & LOVING THE FINISHED LOOK!

frontdoorafter6

LINKING TO:

A STROLL THRU LIFE  THE DIY’ERS  TATERTOTS & JELLO  HUCKLEBERRY LOVE  KLEINWORTH & CO THE SEASONED HOMEMAKER

NOT JUST A HOUSEWIFE  INSIDE BRU CREW  DIY SHOWOFF  LIZ MARIE BLOG  STONEGABLE  FROM MY FRONT PORCH TO YOURS

MY 1929 CHARMER DOMESTICALLY SPEAKING  STONE GABLE  ELIZABETH & CO  HOMETALK  SUBURBLE  LOVE OF FAMILY & HOME

Comments

1. 18

says

What a difference! I like how crisp and clean it is now. I have a white door but it’s very basic without the pretty sidelights and glass that you have. I might have to jazz mine up with a hint of color. Great before and after!

2. 23

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. says

I love the way the door pops now! You can really appreciate it’s beautiful details!

3. 24

liz says

Oh my gosh – I have almost the exact same doors and setup with the white closet door (mine are double) in my foyer. I have also been debating about painting the door – but after seeing yours I am so doing it!!!! It looks fantastic, I really don’t know why I hesitated painting since all of my trim & interior doors are also white. Oh well, seeing yours was just the push I needed – thanks so much for sharing!

4. 26

says

Night and Day ! I like it so much better painted white – it’s on my list of things to do in this fixer upper we bought –
    Great job!
    xox

5. 27

says

I am so glad you kept going and followed your instincts. It looks brand new and so much brighter now! Plus I bet the light coming in from outside and the new color are great to see coming down the stairs…

6. 29

says

Your door looks beautiful, you made the right call by painting it. Thank you for sharing this; I have a similar dilemma and was wondering if it will be worth it – now I’m convinced it will!

7. 31

says

I love how it turned out. I painted all of my trim white in my house. But it was all faux and cheap fake wood. There was zero guilt for me. It is amazing how much some white paint makes the whole space feel different. I love your door, and the glass on it is gorgeous!