As we head into the school year at our house I am sorting through favorite recipes ideas for dinner. These Rachel Ray’s Cheeseburger Eggrolls are a favorite casual dinner at our house. They are perfect for those school nights where homework and hunger collide.
The hardest part of this recipe was finding the wonton wrappers at the grocery store. At our local King Soopers (Kroger) they are located in the produce department in the refrigerated section.
The filling is the best part of this recipe because of its flexibility. I used a ground turkey base because that what was in my freezer. But, but the options are endless. It’s vegan-friendly with black beans and tofu or load it with lean ground beef for the carb and meat eaters in the family. My sister makes a great vegan base with onion and tofu crumbles that would work in these eggrolls for a semi-vegan roll.
The Worcestershire and grainy mustard work well to disguise the tofu crumbles for those picky eaters. Shh… that’s our little foodie secret.
And, both the Worcestershire and mustard add a little spice to this meal.
Rachel Ray’s Cheeseburger Eggrolls
- EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL (TABLESPOON OR SO)
- 1/2 MEDIUM RED OR WHITE ONION, CHOPPED
- 3/4 GROUND BEEF, TURKEY OR TOFU
- SALT & PEPPER TO TASTE
- 1 CUP CHEDDAR CHEESE OR VEGAN CHEESE
- 1 TABLESPOON WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE
- 1/2 TABLESPOON GRAINY MUSTARD
- SESAME SEEDS
- PACKAGE OF EGG ROLL WRAPPERS
- COOKING SPRAY
- HEAT EVOO IN SKILLET AND ADD ONION AND LET IT SWEAT
- ADD GROUND BEEF, TURKEY OR TOFU, BREAK IT UP
- SEASON WITH SALT & PEPPER
- DRAIN FAT FROM PAN & POUR MEAT & ONION INTO BOWL LET COOL.
- ADD CHEESE, WORCHESTERSHIRE
- BRUSH WATER OF ALL SIDES OF WRAPPER TO ACT AS GLUE
- PLACE 1/3 CUP OF MEAT & ONION MIXTURE INTO CENTER OF THE WRAPPER
- FOLD CORNERS CREATING A LONG SKINNY ROLL. PLACE ON COOKIE SHEET ** AND SPRAY WITH COOKING SPRAY. FINISH WITH SESAME SEEDS
- BAKE AT 375 FOR 20-25 MINUTES
- *** I HAVE ALSO WRAPPED AND TUCKED EACH WRAPPER INTO A MUFFIN PAN