These chocolate chip pretzel brownies should come with a warning … or a padlock. These brownies are sinfully delicious and worth every calorie. I told myself I would work out a little harder after I made these the other night. Instead, I made one more batch of these chocolate chip pretzel brownies.
If you have follow my blog you know I don’t always follow a recipe.
And, I don’t advise ever having a glass of wine while making caramel apples.
My sister and I are in discussions to start a she did/she didn’t monthly series on showcasing the same recipe. One of us is a real OCD, stickler for recipe directions. And, one of us believes ingredient substitutions are a sign of creativity and ingenuity. These chocolate chip pretzel brownies may be the best thing I have ever made!
I found the original recipe that inspired my version on my new favorite recipe site. The images below and the recipe are my version.
My version has less “add-ons,” but is not lacking in taste or even appearance. The best part of this recipe is the “base” is made from a chocolate brownie box mix. The next layer is easy; a stick of melted butter and melted semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips (or both). The final layer is chopped pretzel bits and whatever types of candy or baking chips in you pantry or cabinet. After the holidays, I have half used bags taking up space in my cabinet. This is the perfect recipe to clean out the baking supplies. Come to think of it this is an organizing/cleaning idea for the new year. You owe it to your kitchen pantry to make this recipe.
I am getting hungry just looking at this photo. They are so good and so easy to make. After your 3rd layer you pop it in the refrigerator to chill. This is a view from the top. In my chocolate chip pretzel brownies I used a mix of semi-sweet, milk chocolate, Heath bar chips and salted caramel chips. This is one of my favorite desserts ever!
- 1 box Betty Crocker Fudge Brownie Mix
- 2 eggs
- 1 stick butter plus 6 tablespoons for later
- 3 Tablespoons water
- ⅔ cup milk and/or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup mini pretzel chips (chopped)
- 8 peanut butter cups chopped (I substituted other chips in pantry)
- •1 Heat oven to 350°F. Spray an 8 x 8-inch baking dish with nonstick baking spray.
- •2 In large bowl, combine brownie mix, eggs, 1 stick softened butter & water. Stir until mixed. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- •3 Bake for 50-52 minutes, or until the center springs back when touched lightly. Remove and cool completely.
- •4 In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave chocolate chips and 6 tablespoons butter together until melted. Stir until smooth. Spread on cooled brownies.
- •5 Top with chopped pretzel twists and assorted chocolate candy or chips
- •6 Place in fridge until chocolate topping sets. Slice into 9 pieces with a sharp knife.
- Serve and workout really hard tomorrow!