I love sugar cookies. What I don’t love is a long-term commitment in the kitchen during the work week. These monster sugar cookie bars are the perfect way to make and eat sugar cookies without hauling out the cookie cutters. And, still, celebrate the Halloween season in the kitchen.
When I first saw these sugar cookie bars it was a baking epiphany. Before I found this version of a sugar cookie, it never occurred to me that I cookie have a sugar cookie without the cookie cutters. I shared my new favorite sugar cookie recipe here.
Using a new sugar cookie recipe was a big deal; I had used my Cooking Light sugar cookie recipe for over a decade. But, this popular millennial blogger changed everything for me.
Proving those of us over 40 can learn new baking skills. #closerto50
The concept is simple and to the point. It requires sugar cookie dough, pressed into a baking sheet. That’s it.
Cut into rectangular shapes (bars) and add frosting. Frosting is my best baking friend (BFF) in the kitchen.
It covers up the glitches. And, for these monster sugar cookie bars, the googly eyes created little monsters with Halloween shades of purple and greens frosting.
Monster Sugar Cookie Bars Recipe
- Cookie Dough Ingredients
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- one stick butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 TBSP. sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Frosting Ingredients
- One stick butter softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- pinch of salt
- icing tints and sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Line baking sheet with foil (for thicker bar use a smaller baking sheet)
- In a large bowl: sift flour, baking powder & salt.
- In separate bowl cream butter, sugar for about 3 minutes. Add egg, sour cream and vanilla.
- Slowly add the flour mixture.
- Press the dough onto the baking sheet, bake for 14-17 minutes until edges are lightly golden.
- Once cookie bars are cool spread the frosting on the cookie bar.
- Frost as desired