Well it happened. It’s only October and the family is tired of the chicken and pasta. Yep, I have four or five (more like two to three) go-to recipes at 5pm. But, with the days shorter and the nights cooler, I needed a new dinner staple. These taco eggrolls are a favorite for after school snacks or a late night meal after AP calculus.
The hardest part of this recipe was finding the wonton wrappers at the grocery store. I found them in the produce section in the refrigerated section.
The filling is the best part of this recipe because of its flexibility. I used a ground turkey base because that was in my freezer. But, the options are endless. It’s vegan-friendly with black beans and tofu! Or load it with ground beef for the carb and meat eaters in the family.
The salsa and shredded cheese disguised the tofu crumbles for picky eaters.
Shh… that’s our little foodie secret.
- EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL (TABLESPOON OR SO)
- 1/2 MEDIUM RED OR WHITE ONION, CHOPPED
- 3/4 GROUND BEEF, TURKEY OR TOFU
- SALT & PEPPER TO TASTE
- 1 CUP CHEDDAR CHEESE OR VEGAN CHEESE
- 1 TABLESPOON WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE
- 1/2 TABLESPOON GRAINY MUSTARD
- SESAME SEEDS
- PACKAGE OF EGG ROLL WRAPPERS
- COOKING SPRAY
- HEAT EVOO IN SKILLET AND ADD ONION AND LET IT SWEAT
- ADD GROUND BEEF, TURKEY OR TOFU, BREAK IT UP
- SEASON WITH SALT & PEPPER
- DRAIN FAT FROM PAN & POUR MEAT & ONION INTO BOWL LET COOL.
- ADD CHEESE, WORCHESTERSHIRE <g class=”gr_ gr_1252 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep gr-progress” id=”1252″ data-gr-id=”1252″>SAUCE</g> AND MUSTARD.
- BRUSH WATER OF ALL SIDES OF WRAPPER TO ACT AS GLUE
- PLACE 1/3 CUP OF MEAT & ONION MIXTURE INTO CENTER OF THE WRAPPER
- FOLD CORNERS CREATING A LONG SKINNY ROLL. PLACE ON COOKIE SHEET ** AND SPRAY WITH COOKING SPRAY. FINISH WITH SESAME SEEDS
- BAKE AT 375 FOR 20-25 MINUTES
- *** I HAVE ALSO WRAPPED AND TUCKED EACH WRAPPER INTO A MUFFIN PAN