Hi all~ Let me start with the need to put the word “grass” in quotes or my favorite parentheses, because in Colorado, “grass” has an entirely different meaning! Ha! Over the past year, I have made batches of frosting in my attempts to make the “grass” frosting spread all over Pinterest. I have adjusted the butter, used shortening, and worked with meringue powder! And, my frosting never was firm enough to resemble grass. I always ended up with 6 cups of green (in this case it’s yellow, but it’s for a visual)!
And, then I found this recipe, that was just slightly different than ALL of the other buttercream recipes. Of course, my sister would suggest that maybe this is the best frosting because I actually FOLLOWED the recipe! Either way, this recipe from My Baking Addiction worked best! I didn’t have clear vanilla so I used coconut extract? Can I do that?
I am so excited! I love it! Scroll below for my slightly adapted recipe. I used the Wilton Icing Tip #233. I found mine at Michael’s.
- 4 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- pinch of fine grain sea salt (I omitted)
- 1 tablespoon clear vanilla extract (I used clear coconut extract)
- 2 pounds powdered sugar, sifted (big surprise here- I didn't sift) ! ha!
- 4-6 tablespoons heavy cream or milk ( I used skim milk)
- I placed icing in refrigerator for an hour to firm it up.
- I just mixed all the ingredients together until smooth and creamy!
- I cut this recipe in half because of my history of running icing. I still used 4 tablespoons of skim milk and it was perfect.
LINKING TO: 3 LITTLE GREENWOODS JAM HANDS